Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sweet Home Costa Rica

The past two days of training (in Miami) have been A LOT of fun and A LOT less awkward than I expected. (You know my fear of awkward situations...) As you can imagine, the other volunteers are amazing, outgoing, independent, accomplished, from all over the US with various interests and backgrounds. However, we all have funny things in common like - lots of us have been camp counselors :) and studied abroad.

The days have been full of interactive activies that give us an overview of the excitement to come.... :) Today I was part of a group that wrote a song about integrating into the Costa Rica culture. It was to the tune of "Sweet Home Alabama" and Ryan Bailey (who also went to UNC and some of you know him) pretty much rocked out on the guitar. So we've had fun being silly and also discussing real issues.

I don't have too much news, but I wanted to go ahead and let you all know that I'm even more excited about this adventure and my fellow adventurers. Also we leave tomorrow for Costa Rica where we will have a FOUR day orientation! (It's gonna be like camp!...maybe :)) During this retreat, I will have NO ABILITY to be in touch so don't be alarmed. Next time you hear from me, I will be in Costa Rica!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Kim! yay! that is SO exciting, I'm glad you are getting along with everyone. Have a safe trip and wonderful orientation. Thinking of you! xoxo

alli said...

hey woman!!
can't wait for your adventures to continue in Costa Rica!! :)
have fun at "camp"!
alli

akw said...

Awesome. Keelen and I are Looking forward to keeping up with how you are doing in Costa Rica. We'll be praying for you.

Lorin said...

Yeah!!!!! We are so excited for you and can't wait to follow your adventures. You are amazing Kim! Love you!

Mary Benfield said...

Kim, Your mom has given a recent update. Congrats on the language testing! Enjoy hearing what you're doing. Love ya! Aunt Mary