Wednesday, July 4, 2007

I Live In Costa Rica Now


This blog is going to be SUPER hard because so much has happened, but....

We arrived in Costa Rica with all of our luggage...(I wasn´t the only one who had to pay for luggage that was too heavy!) For four days all 35 of us became GREAT friends and learned so much I cannot even begin to tell you what we learned. But know that the Peace Corps Costa Rica has AMAZING staff and they take VERY good care of us! We received medical kits with every possible medication needed, malaria pills, mosquito nets and books to prepare us for our eventual volunteering! My favorite part was getting to know the other Volunteers and the staff (clearly). I brought Catchphrase and, as some of you know, Catchphrase brings people together.

Now we are all divided (sad - bc seriously all the volunteers are bffs already :)), but good because our families are AMAZING! In my opinion, my family is the BEST! I have a brother (18 yrs old) and a sister (15 yrs old) who take me everywhere and introduce me to everyone and a mom and dad who tell me things 100 times until I understand exactly what they are saying. My Spanish is good enough that I can have fairly deep conversations. Sometimes they have to talk AROUND things until I understand, but I am so lucky that they are so patient for me. My family is so giving and friendly and I cannot say enough good things about them.

Everyday we have language classes and work with WONDERFUL language trainers who teach us SO much about Costa Rica and Costa Rican Spanish. I have some really good Peace Corps friends in my community and I´m soon to have some really good Costa Rican friends as well. Just give me about two more weeks to be better at Spanish...and bam! bff. :)

Anyways, the Youth Development Volunteers are meeting in a larger town today to celebrate the 4th of July - so Happy 4th to all of you! Watch some fireworks for us! Love to you all.

No comments: