Sunday, July 22, 2007

Peace Corps Sent Us Into the World









Peace Corps sent us on our first "site visit" and the bottom picture was the view from our house (AMAZING, I know), but we MAY have had to climb up a mud slide to get to our house. Ha ha ha. It sounds silly, but really, I could NOT walk up the hill to our house bc i just kept sliding down the mud. Please picture me with a huge backpack sliding backwards down a mudslide. It was AWESOME. I mean, it really was awesome. We stayed in an indigenous village and learned all about how one volunteer lives.


We also had the chance to hike a HUGE moutain and see the village on one side and a rainforest on the other. It was almost surreal to hike next to coconut trees and such a tropical place. Sometimes I think to myself...is this my life? There is a picture of me and my pcbff, but it is only HALF WAY up the moutain!


Then we traveled to a more urban site to visit another volunteer...and there was a little less mud, but the most exciting thing about this house was that i had a little brother, a little sister and a rabbit!! I LOVED the rabbit. (I felt at home!) And my brother and sister reminded me of all my little kids that i baby-sit! (Which reminds me..thanks for the letter jake, lily & sam!)


At this site we learned a lot from the volunteer! We got to visit an orphanage and experience the type of work he does there, as well as visit a school and tell about our experiences in the United States and participate in a basketball practice! We had a great time! There is a picture of three of us with our packs on! This was as we were heading home...and by this time, we were so use to our backpacks, we didn't even want to take them off. And those two are two of my favorite peace corps volunteers. They help keep me sane!












3 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks for the update - Loved
the information AND pictures -

Mom

PS - You know that I love you!

alli said...

did you say "basketball practice"???!?!?!?! sign me up!!!
i love you and miss you, my ws bff!!! :) praying for you!

Kristin said...

KIM - these pictures are amazing. I can not believe that was the view from your backyard. I love imagining all the incredible things you are doing and seeing and all the people that love you already. AND you sliding backwards down a mudslide haha! :)