Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Volcan Poas



My family took me to see this Volcano! Clearly, the pictures do NOT do it justice. I mean...I just looked at hole into the earth with smoke coming out! How cool is that!

Things to note: very touristy. My family laughed a lot because EVERYONE was speaking Enlgish! And also - it was expensive. Ok, not expensive in US $, but on a Peace Corps salaray EXPENSIVE. They charge one TOURIST as mush as it costs SIX Costa Ricans to enter the park! Soon I will have a Costa Rican Registration card though so I will be able to visit places as someone who lives here.

Also - when Lauren came, her friend taught us how to say 'My paycheck is in colones, not in dollars.' in Spanish so that we can say it when everyone thinks we're tourists and tries to overcharge us. I tried to tell one man I was not a tourist and he definitly did NOT believe me!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Hello Daughter,

Loved your Blog AND the pictures -
especially after your brother
showed me how to enlarge them!
The volcano came out of the computer.

Guess you must continue to work on
that Spanish so you can convince the natives that you are poor:)

Love you -

Mom

Kristin said...

I can only imagine how amazing that was - you can definitely tell the pic doesn't do it justice but its still awesome! How many active volcanos do they have there? I wish I could be there with you for just a day!! LOVE YOU!!!!!

Kristin said...

ps i wish i could be there with you for more than a day too :)

Kristin said...

pps - last one i promise - i love that i just enlarged the pic and it says 'prohibido bajar al crater'!