Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Little Overview of Life Here

Thus far my blogs have been about GRAND Peace Corps events, but this one is a little bit about the daily life here.

With Peace Corps training it seems that every other week is a HARD week. During these weeks, we are lucky to have time to use the internet or do do personal things like talk on the phone or just hang out. During these busy weeks, the Peace Corps has LONG days of technical training where all 35 of us conveine in a NOISY room to learn about non-formal education, health issues, history and culture of Costa Rica and other realted things. Now...this may sound fun, but EIGHT hours of school is hard to endure after the luxury of a University Education. (and I mean that in all the different ways it may be taken...) These days are EXHAUSTING not only because we sit in class all day, but we also travel to and from the training site during peak travel hours crammed, standing with our backpacks on a bus (we know each other very intimately now) and as of yet...we haven't quite perfected the art of hanging on. It's quite an experience!

On our slower weeks, we have a lot of Spanish classes in our communities. These days are shorter... from 8 - 2:30 with a break for lunch, but are also exhausting because constantly thinking in a different language is difficult. And its also difficult to hear ourselves speak bad spanish...and to hear each other speak bad spanish. Also, once class ends, we have other "projects" to complete. This week we have to observe a classroom and interview a teacher as well as plan 5 projects to conduct within our community! It may sound easy, but I have to plan 5 classes to teach, IN SPANISH, and convince people to come and "learn" from me.

However, there are always exciting things happening as well. For instance, on Monday, I made pizza (with the DiBianca homemade pizza dough recipe!) for my family and they LOVED it! And tomorrow mybestLauren is coming to visit me and I will get to play with her and her bff Katie Finn on Friday! PLUS on Monday we have a holiday so some of us are going to the beach for Sunday and Monday! And Thursday, we have another HOLIDAY!

It's hard to describe life here becasue it is always changing and at the exact same moments that it is exciting, thrilling, adventurous, busy, and fun, it is also hard, boring, exhausting, lonely, and frustrating. Right now though, I can't wait for more! I want to know more, I want to do more, I want to speak better, and I want to be more immersed in the culture! The best is yet to come!

Thanks for the letters, the e-mails and the encouragement! Everything you guys send to me and tell me makes me laugh and my family here LOVES hearing about all of you guys!

4 comments:

Morgan Knox said...

kim!! i LOVE reading your blog...i picture you sitting in front me using your hands and big facial expressions to tell me the story:) i am soo excited that you are in costa rica.your spanish is going to be amazing when you come back! i am sure your smile is so welcoming and comforting to those around you.continue to seek the Lord everyday friend! you are loved and prayed for:)

Rachel said...

KIM KIM! I am so happy for you, you are doing amazing things! Whenever you are frustrated or even lonely, just remember as you said it best "those moments where you are thinking 'is this really my life'?" This is such an amazing experience and just keep going, it will all get easier. I am so proud of you! Love you!

Unknown said...

KIM!!!
I'm so glad that you're getting to see Lauren! I know that will make your week. I've loved your blog, by the way, but it just makes me miss you so much! I'm glad to hear that you're doing well and having fun...and yes, I loved the tree frogs! :) Love you! Jessica

Lorin said...

Hey Kim! Kyle and I just ventured back to Winston-Salem for the first time since we moved, and it wasn't the same without you! Things are going well for us in Wilmington, Kyle got into grad school, I am very close to landing the job of my dreams, and we are pregnant!!!



Just kidding ;) ah haaaahh


I am very It blesses me so much to read your blog and find out what you are up to. What an amazing experience so far!!!! You know that I am especially proud of your Spanish usage :) and can't wait to hear how you progress! Thank you Cesar, Pilar and Lina!!! Oh, and by the way, I was talking about you the other day and Kyle was like "Kim is SO cool" Just thought I would pass that along. I love you soooo much! And just to clarify, there are NO baby Van Zandts on the way! :) Love you!!!