Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Costa Rican Camp Counselor, Say WHAT?!?






In Costa Rica, the schools are technically still on “vacation” until February 11, but…I have been so busy it has not felt much like vacation. I spent a week being a Costa Rican summer day camp counselor and it was exhausting. In the morning, we had ages 3-12 and I was assigned to help with ages 10-12. The most difficult part was that I was expected to take attendance! YOU TRY SPELLING THESE NAMES IN SPANISH! Yaxciry pronounced Jacksiree, Geisel pronounced Hasel, Xotshinl pronounced…I never figured that out I just called her Toti. (seriously, I did.) In the afternoon, I was a TEAM LEADER for 12-18 year olds and I might have been MORE than a little competitive. Unfortunately my team lost, but I hope I taught them how to be good leaders. I made them shake hands with the other team and say “Good game Good game” – in English. It was GREAT!

I actually think the day camp was one of the most beneficial things I have done since I have been in Costa Rica. When I came to Costa Rica, I had a lot of culturally UNITED STATES games, songs, dances, and ice breakers…but sometimes those techniques don’t work in Costa Rica. Sometimes you have to know how to play “ENSALADA DE FRUTAS” (Fruit Salad) to get the kids attention. Sometimes you just need a well known kids song to get the kids singing “Habia un sapo, sapo, sapo, Quien nadaba en el rio, rio, rio…” (There was a frog, frog, frog, who swam in the river, river, river…)

I also learned a lot about working with other Costa Ricans and the Costa Rican style of camp. It’s hard to explain, but the cultural differences in carrying out a project so similar to a day camp are IMMENSE! When and how things get done are different. The order of completing tasks is different as well…It’s hard to explain and I can’t currently think of a specific example. The only way I know to describe it is that Costa Ricans PRIORITIZE differently due to a different value system. (For example, they value relationships more than they value work and so in an office environment – FIRST we have a coffee, chit-chat, solidify the friendship, and then we have the business meeting.) In this sense, the tasks that WE might complete FIRST a Costa Rican might leave until second or third. I learned to much!


Finally, my Costa Rican camp counselor experience was INVALUABLE because I built new, stronger, and funnier relationships with the kids, the adolescents, other “counselors” my age!, and other adults and families in the community. It was a great week and I hope you enjoy the pictures of me DANCING and with my kids!

1 comment:

ta ta for now said...

I am a Girl Scout leader looking for info on kids' games, etc in Costa Rica for our Thinking Day activity! Could you explain how to play "Fruit Salad"? Gracias!