Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Birthdays, Birthdays, Birthdays....



Then came November… November was the month of birthday parties. I think that everyone I love in Costa Rica had a birthday in the month of November:

Gaudy (my sister and closest friend) – October 30
Derlis (my cousin and close friend) — October 30
Kim (me) -- November 1
Sharon (my niece) -- November 4
Ivannia (friend) -- November 5
Cristian (my brother) -- November 10
Davis (my first friend and basically part of the family) – November 10
Loreina (friend) -- November 15

Please read about all of the following birthday parties:


MY JOINT BIRTHDAY PARTY!
SO, we began the festivities with a three way joint birthday party for my sister Gaudy, my cousin Derlis and me!

When: On November 1st, we invited all of our family and all of our friends to have a huge party.

Where: My cousin cleaned out his “rancho” – it was basically just a shelter in his backyard – and we made benches and hung Christmas lights and balloons and set up tables and chairs and…..

Food: Grandma made Chicken Rice – because it is the cheapest food you can make for a large group of people and therefore the STAPLE of every birthday party. Derlis’ mom made Picadillo de Papaya – there is no name to describe it, but you chop up papaya and other vegetables and then mix them all together with ground beef and then eat it on tortillas. I made the BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE with CARAMEL ICING ever! We also had fruit salad, ice cream, jello, chips, salad, marshmellows, coca-cola…basically a TON of food.

Games: Our amazing friend Davis lead PARTY games, because here the people LOVE party games. It’s a great way to get the people to interact. Whereas in the United States, we’re more free for all, let the people mingle….here the people just kind of SIT. Probably because we all live so close and see each other every day, mingling isn’t really necessary….so Davis planned a whole evening of ice breakers that really got the party people laughing, playing and interacting. It seriously made the night to fun!

We really didn’t want the night to end, BUT because we did invite the whole family, the parents and grandparents were ready to go early so……we obviously had to end the party with a PIŇATA!!!!

Our oldest sister made us a homemade piñata which said “Friens.” (without the "d") And you know how in the US all the adults are too mature to dive on the ground to try to steal candy? Well in Costa Rica, NOT THE CASE. As soon as that piñata splits open, people of all ages dive to the ground. Babies Beware! It was hilarious and the BEST way to start my 25th year of life!

I also need to give a HUGE shout-out to my amazing friends and parents who remembered my birthday SO MUCH in advance that I had packages to open that included new clothes, silver earrings for my silver birthday, perfume, make-up, country cd’s, dvd’s, homemade decorations, and so much more….

Oh! And to Virginia who remembered to not only send a birthday gift for me, but for all of my family and friends who had birthdays in the same period…she even remembered to send stickers (pegatinas) for my niece!




Sharon’s Birthday
Just a few days later….my niece turned 5! It was a princess/Barbie birthday party to remember! I was in charge of the cakes, so PLEASE take note of how AMAZING they are! Obviously, there was Grandma’s Chicken Rice amongst other goodies, pin the nose on the man, and a Piñata! She was a pretty pretty princess and I think she was pretty amazingly happy after her birthday party!


Davis, Cristian, Ivannia and Loreina
We also had a joint birthday party for Davis, Cristian, Ivannia and Loreina at one of our normal reunions. Obviously, I yet again made the birthday cake and we had a great time!

Later, we had another birthday party for Cristian because he is the pastor of the church…so there was a huge party at the house and his grandfather came and brought a whole band with him. Yet again, there was a lot of really good food and party games.

About one week later, we had the last and final of birthday parties to celebrate Loreina. At this party, we were all looking pretty good in party hats.






And all the birthday parties finished JUST IN TIME…..for Christmas!!!!!!!

No comments: