Tuesday, March 31, 2009

English Class

I have a group of 20 students who have now completed 4 levels of English with me! When the complete this final level, they will receive a diploma from one of the top English Teaching Institutes in Costa Rica! They are capable of basic English and what I really wish is that I could bring them to the United States so they could really practice.

We started the course for 4 hours once a week, but have recently changed to about 2.5 hours twice a week which has helped considerably. I have no teaching background and learned so much from teaching them! I almost feel sorry for them because my teaching strategies have all been hit or miss. I’ve learned that they have to play lots of competitive games of they get bored. I’ve learned that I have to give them graded quizzes every class period so they will study each week. I’ve learned that they have to turn in the homework to be graded or they will NOT do it. I’ve learned that we have to dedicate one entire class to ONLY SPEAKING for them to really be able to practice well.

I have seen so much improvement in their reading, writing and speaking skills and I am super proud of them all. Here are some pictures of the class:






No comments: