Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Good-bye Chicas Poderosas. Hello Guias y Scouts.

I have completed my working with the girls club mainly because I want to make it MORE sustainable. The girls LOVE it so much, but without a dedicated Costa Rican who can commit time to them every week, it will not continue without a Peace Corps Volunteer.

So…instead I have dedicated my time to working with the closest Boy & Girl Scout Troop to our community! We are going to prepare leaders in our community to receive the Boy & Girl Scout Leadership training so that Costa Ricans can lead their own community kids & adolescents in a VERY sustainable Boys & Girls Club.

I won’t lie to you. I never did Girl Scouts and I always thought it was dorky. BUT, seeing it in Costa Rica, I love and admire it! It teaches the kids SO much responsibility, self-discipline, community service, and provides them with learning opportunities not otherwise available. They have a chance to work for rewards, learn team work and structure (every meeting has some of the same rituals), and they will also be lead by adults who can serve as role models.
So I have given up on my girls club of Chicas Poderosas to promote and encourage Boy & Girl Scouts of Caribe. If you have connections with Boy Scouts of Girl Scouts in the U.S. and have any suggestions or would like to support us any way…let me know!




No comments: