Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Four Things that May or May Not Be Driving Me Crazy...




1. So remember how at one time I was possibly complaining about the heat. Well…NEWSFLASH – it has been raining for almost 11 days straight. Lots of rain means that NOTHING dries ever and therefore, shoes, purses, hats, closets, and clothes grow mold. (Please refer to pictures above of mold. There are no pictures of the mold on clothes or in my closet BUT one day I had to wear a shirt that smelled like mildew all day. It was pretty gross.) If you have any tricks for keeping things mold free, feel free to send them to me. I would be grateful for anything.

2. The roads. Roads here are more like not roads. There are so many holes in the roads that it almost hurts to ride the bus, or the car, or a bike. Some communities are working hard to collect money to pave the roads, but still I am thankful for the roads in North Carolina. (EVEN I-40 in Greensboro and between Chapel Hill and Raleigh.)

3. In all honesty, it is very hard to return my site in Costa Rica after being away. After All Volunteer Conference and spending time with my first family, I had to return to my official site and faced a few days of being very unhappy. It was helpful to talk to other volunteers, who felt the same way, but Costa Rican culture leaves no room for privacy and so now my WHOLE Costa Rican family thinks I am depressed. And every morning when I wake up they ask me “How do you feel?”, and when I return for lunch they ask me “How do you feel?”, and when I return from work they ask me “How do you feel?”…and well, it makes me want to scream.

4. Lastly, someone started a rumor that I was going to give all the kids Christmas presents. (Just to give you an idea there are 400 kids between Kindergarten and 6th grade in my community.) So all the children AND all the parents come up to ask me if I can give them Christmas presents. It is not fun.

2 comments:

Emily said...

oh my stars... that mold is so gross. I might throw up. It's a good thing ur not allergic to mold like my mom

VA said...

i asked my uncle bill (who grew up in panama) what they used to do about the rainy season and mold. he said they all kept a light bulb on in their closets and the heat from that helped the mold problem and helped to dry their clothes. i don't know if you would be able to set something like that up, but it's an idea!