Monday, November 5, 2007

Kim´s Year of Peace*




And so now I am 24.


Not gonna lie, it would rank up there as one of the NOT BEST birthdays of my life. However, I do realize that I have had more than my fair share of AMAZING birthday celebrations so we’re just going to take this birthday with a grain of salt.


Anticipating the not so good conditions for a birthday here, my PC friend (who also celebrated a could have been better birthday) and I met in the CITY to EAT. We first went to an AMAZING restaurant where I ate grilled SALMON in coconut sauce. It was the best meal I have had since June. After that, we went to a movie. I’m not even going to tell you which movie we saw because all that mattered is that for 2.5 hours we could ESCAPE. So we ate caramel popcorn and forgot. Lastly, we found a café and ate APPLE PIE, ICE CREAM, and café mocha. That was the birthday present we gave ourselves. And it was worth the $50 American dollars it cost.

Then a couple days later on my actual birthday…well, let’s just say I’ve never actually appreciated “Happy Birthdays” via Facebook until my 24th birthday in Costa Rica. And from that, I’ll let you draw your own conclusions about my birthday. If FACEBOOK cheered me up…


My PCbff called a couple times throughout the day to check on me and THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH for the phone calls, packages and cards! All of these things made me feel so loved and also cheered me up.


And at the end of the day, Karli and Lauren called and it was wonderful to talk to amazing friends who have preceded me in entering their 24th year with NOT SO WONDERFUL birthdays. So don’t worry, I don’t blame Costa Rica or the Peace Corps for a bad birthday….I blame 24.


And in spite of a bad birthday, I know that this year is going to be a wonderful one. This will be my full year of life that I live OUTSIDE of the United States and it was named *Kim’s Year of Peace by Lauren Quartz DiBianca.

3 comments:

Mom said...

"They say that growing up is hard to do - Now you know, you know that it's true!"

Now you have one more thing to teach your new friends - "How to
celebrate birthdays!"

I love you -

Mom

Amanda Septien said...

tonight, my roommate and i decided to sing old vacation bible school songs, and she said "do you remember this one..."

"j is for jesus, o is for others yei yei yei is for you and you and you you you you"

and you immediately CAME TO MY MIND! and i miss you a lot right at that moment :) i hope you're doing well.

Lauren Quartz said...

KIM! Thanks for the shoutout. It IS going to be your year of peace. And it's gonna be awesome. Love you. :)