Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Fair





The fair came to my town and we went to the rodeo, we rode some rides, bought some cotton candy, honestly, the most interesting thing to say about it, is that Christians in Costa Rica don’t dance. They are not allowed to dance. It is probably from the devil. Well, I may LOVE to dance. And I may have broken all rules and said “I AM CHRISTIAN AND I DANCE.”
Just as I side note, I break lots of Christian rules here. For example, I play cards and read Harry Potter. (du, du, du) Luckily, I’m not one to worry about breaking rules. I got over the “What will the neighbors think mentality?” in the United States, and although they talk about the neighbors much more in my Costa Rican town, you just gotta let them talk. I can’t live my life based on the opinions of other people.


It sounds funny, but I always remember the fable of the Father, the son, and the donkey.

The Father, his son and the donkey are on trip to town to sell goods. The donkey is carrying the goods on his back, and the Father and the son are walking alongside the donkey talking. As they pass through the first town, the people begin to talk and gossip, “What a horrible Father making that poor boy walk all the way into town. He is so small. He’s got to be exhausted.” So the Father puts his son the donkey and they continue on their way. As they pass through the second town, the people begin to talk and gossip, “What a lazy, ungrateful son riding on the donkey and making his poor father walk all the way to town. The son is so much younger and the Father’s got to be exhausted.” So the Father gets on the donkey with the son and they continue on their way. As they pass through the third town, the people begin to talk and gossip, “That poor donkey carrying those goods, the son and his father. That is horrible. That donkey must be exhausted.” So the Father and the son get off the donkey and the Father and son carry the goods and they continue on their way. As the Father, the son and they arrive in the final town of their destination, the people begin to talk and gossip, “How stupid that Father and son carrying those goods when they have a perfectly good donkey to carry them.”


I HONESTLY see this in action daily. I am constantly defending the victim. I ALWAYS play “devils advocate” just so that whoever is talking MIGHT think about another point of view instead of always thinking the worst of their victim. The good thing is that I have totally accepted that everyone in my town has an opinion about everything I do (which they are totally entitled to) and that I will not live by their opinions. I know WHO I am and I know RIGHT from WRONG. And I AM A CHRISTIAN AND I DANCE.

No comments: