Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Queen of Chicas Poderosas




My beautiful girls in my girls club are working hard to raise money to take a trip to the amusement park in Costa Rica. With all of my heart, I want to take these girls to the amusement part! I think, just like the majority of these girls have never been in a library, out to eat at a restaurant, stayed in a hotel, etc; the majority have never been to an amusement park, much less on ANY field trip with friends.


We did the amazing fundraiser of selling doughnuts, but it was a lot of work for Kim, the leader of the Chicas Poderosas. I asked around for fundraising ideas and my sister, Gaudy, suggested a “CORONATION.” The idea is that all the girls who want to be the QUEEN of the Chicas Poderosas have to compete by asking people in the community to support them with “votes.” And by votes, I mean MONEY. They had to make cans with their pictures and signs saying “HELP me be the QUEEN of the Chicas Poderosas.” Then we would have a huge presentation crowning the winner the QUEEN.


I was hoping that the girls would work really hard to raise money, asking the community, the businesses and anyone who might be willing to donate. I went into town with the girls one day to teach them how to ask the businesses if they could put a can in the business and how to ask the people in the streets for money (Who can say no to a 10 year old girl asking you to help her be princess? Seriously.) The rest was up to the girls…..and well….let’s just say, we didn’t raise all that much money, but we did have a lot of fun at the Coronation. The girls prepared dances and presentations. They decorated. I prepared an amazing snack of chocolate chip cookies and prepared the stage and the show. The girls were hilarious.


We raised almost no money, but the girls had a good time and now we have a QUEEN of the Chicas Poderosas.

No comments: