Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Days are Flying

The days are flying by. I cannot believe that I have been in my new site for almost a month now. My schedule is also currently PACKED through Christmas. I am so excited about all the projects that are taking shape here in my site.

I am receiving training on how to create a “School for Parents” to teach them alternatives to hitting their children as punishment, how to set limits, apply correct discipline, and maintain authority. I am excited because the training is solid and when I think it is perfect for my community.

I have a group of girls who are ready to start “Chicas Poderosas” (Strong Girls). In this club, we will clearly do fun things like make t-shirts, have bake sales, paint our nails and play games; BUT we will also learn about character, values, respect, as well as anti-drug, stay in school, and don’t talk to boys :).

The Development Association is working towards having a Community Center, paving the roads (desperately needed!), and instituting trash pick-up and recycling programs. I would really like to help with these desires as well as help with finishing the half-built basketball court.

I am also working with the church that is practically in my front yard. They really have a heart for the community and already have a project going to provide food for those who can’t afford to eat. They also have a great group of children, young adults, and adults who really care about and want to be active in the community.

I actually love the Costa Rican pace. I do not feel pressure to MAKE these projects take form IN A MONTH or have RESULTS tomorrow. I am following the lead of the community in hopes that the projects will form naturally as a result of the needs of the community and therefore be long lasting. I am spending a lot of time getting acquainted, meeting people, and gaining acceptance from the community. And I am loving it.

I am learning to say “No.” I am learning to set boundaries and limits. I am learning to be comfortable with being WEIRD. I am learning to be comfortable with being LAUGHED AT and TALKED ABOUT. I am developing a tough skin about personal appearance because if I have acne (which I do here A LOT), EVERY SINGLE person asks “WHATS THAT?” I am learning more than I could write here…and I suppose I will only continue to learn more and more.

(Side Note: Peace Corps Medical Officers visited me yesterday and it was so exciting to have people from the United States in my house and people who wanted to know all about my experience! And the most exciting part was that they brought my BIKE! I rode it in to town today. And it’s so exciting!)

4 comments:

Mom said...

I love your expressive writing and
your comments show so much excitement! Costa Rica is so
fortunate to have you!

I love you!

Mom

Unknown said...

i agree with your mom..i can totally see you saying these things in person...waving your hands in the air with the BIGGEST smile on your face.keep loving on them and serving...you are such a blessing and i am so sure they love you as much as we all do here in nc!!!

Unknown said...

I love reading this blog. It always makes me smile to get an update and to hear that you are doing well. I do however, think the egg trowing tradition is better left in CR. ;) ( just thinking of how may birthday celebrations you have shared with us)
Talk to you soon!

Justin said...

Hello Kim,

I recently received my invitation to Costa Rica, working in Youth Development and leaving Feb. 25, 08 (for staging).

I've been doing a lot of research on this and reading your blog has definitely given me some good insight on what I may experience.

If you happen to have some spare time, I wanted to see if you would be able to answer a few questions I have on Costa Rica and Youth Development.

You can reach me at my e-mail if you like, which is:

justintimothybrock@gmail.com

Thanks! Justin