Friday, October 12, 2007

My New House










OK – so for those of you who are really interested…I’ll take you on a tour of my house. First, refer below to DENGUE to see the front of my house. That is the OUTER gate that protects us from thieves. You walk over the concrete bridge and enter the front yard. When standing in the front yard, if you look straight ahead, you see the main house and the main front porch. The main front porch is the first photo.




Also from the front yard if you turn right, you see the side porch which is the second photo. My room has a window out to that side porch. The next photo is the hall that leads to my room, my cousin’s room (where currently the extra family is living), the grandparents’ room, our shared bathroom, and finally, the backyard. All the rooms are on the right side of the hall and the left side of the hall is the main house with the den, the kitchen, and where everyone else lives.




So as you walk down that hall, if you turn into your first room, you will see the NEXT picture. This is my bedroom looking in from the hall. Please note how the walls do not go up to the ceiling. The walls just sort of end at about 7 ft. This is my bedroom when sitting on my bed and looking out toward the hall. OK 1st – do not be fooled by the television. It doesn’t work. (And for those of you who know me, this is like the worst possible thing to have in my bedroom. Junk is my biggest enemy and having this big space taker upper to stare at me everyday…. I just want to throw it away so bad. :) Second, please note the wires and cords that adorn my room and you can also see how the wall just stops before it hits the ceiling. :) This is my window and my wall decoration that consists of pictures of you guys. (Note that the window looks out onto the hammock. Also however, do not be fooled by the hammock. It’s broken. I’m strongly considering buying a new hammock…maybe I could order one of those Pottery Barn Hammocks. Hahahaha…and corrupt Costa Rica. :) This picture is to show you my mosquito net. That dark green thing that is tucked behind my headboard gets unraveled and tied to the other wall to make a giant cube around my bed. And unlike in the United States, my mosquito net is not for decoration…without it at night, I wake up looking like I have chicken pox. Every night I tie it up and every morning I take it down. I love my mosquito net.




So that’s a tour of my house for now. I know I am lucky. I know that I have more than so many Peace Corps volunteers. And my heart goes out to them, because it’s hard. And it’s hot. And I appreciate the little things.

No comments: